Sunday, August 20, 2017

CW TO PRODUCE 'THE VALIANT' FEMALE CELTIC GLADIATOR EPIC TV SERIES! BILLY HOWLE IS PRINCE OF WALES IN 'OUTLAW KING' EPIC FILM WITH CHRIS PINE, AARON TAYLOR JOHNSON

'OUTLAW KING' EPIC MOVIE
BILLY HOWLE IS PRINCE OF WALES
Billy also starred in New Worlds epic TV series
We kick off epic Saturday with the latest casting info from Netflix movie OUTLAW KING in which Chris Pine will play the titular character, legendary Scottish hero Robert The Bruce, the king who led his country to freedom from the oppressive rule of England in Scotland. The latest addition to the cast is Billy Howle (we saw him last year in BBC's Witness for the Prosecution Agatha Christie series) who will play Prince of Wales, a direct rival to Robert The Bruce in the fight to secure the Scottish throne. Aaron Taylor Johnson is playing another legend from the isles, Scottish knight James Douglas, Robert the Bruce's right hand, while Florence Pugh is the female lead.

'THE VALIANT' EPIC TV SERIES
ABOUT A FEMALE GLADIATOR
2nd book The Defiant is out next February
CW is, meanwhile, preparing an epic new series for us! As 'Variety' reports, they are looking to adapt Lesley Livingston's novel THE VALIANT into an epic TV show about a female gladiator! After they ended Reign last season it could be CW's replacement in the genre of historical shows. The series would follow a Celtic princess on the run from an arranged marriage and a sheltered life who is captured and forced into slavery under Julius Caesar. She ends up training among the first wave of female Gladiators to compete in the Colosseum for fame, fortune and, ultimately, her freedom.

20 comments:

  1. Outlaw King could be good...I like historical when it's done well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where there actually female gladiators? I had no idea!

    -Kati
    Almost Stylish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I actually translated another such book Gladiatrix from Russell Withfield some ten years ago for the readers in my country. They were mostly female warriors captured in battles around Europe and Asia. The strongest ones were from Germania, The Balkans and the Celtic ones

      Delete
  3. They both sound pretty good.
    Female gladiators! I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can get behind a female gladiator. I'll keep that new series on my radar and will be looking for you to post the trailer as soon as it's released.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if it ever gets past the pilot stage, deary.... I still haven't forgiven CW for not letting TRANSYLVANIA go beyond pilot (which was never aired)

      Delete
    2. Sometimes CW has its head so far up its ass, it's surprising we get anything watchable from them.

      Delete
    3. I used to watch them a lot, but now everything they do is teensy superheroes.... I cannot deal with that even if their casts really are drop dead gorgeous

      Delete
    4. Agree. You know I don't do superheros other than Wonder Woman, so CW has been off my list for the past few years.

      Delete
    5. I only watch THE 100 there and REIGN but the queen died this season, so no more Mary Queen of Scots for me....

      Delete
  5. Female gladiator! Interesting.. I instantly remember Zena et of course Danny, mother of the dragon ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Xena was unbeatable! And Lucy Lawless was amazing later on in Spartacus too!

      Delete
    2. I had Xena in my Netflix lineup, but they took it off, so now I will have to torrent it some day. The only problem with that is I can't walk around and do chores and watch it on my iPad now, so I have to find the time to actually sit and watch it.

      Delete
    3. I think you're too late with Xena, deary, today it looks just too outdated to the point of being silly, but back in its days it was a lovely Saturday evening fun. It is fun, though, seeing some of today's big stars playing support roles there. I remember Karl Urban played Cupid and Caesar there too and was deadly cute

      Delete
  6. Okay, fine, female gladiators existed, but... here's where Hollywood's prudishness distorts history: female gladiators fought topless. I kid you not. But, of course, chop chop is fine, but breasts are not.

    Click HERE if you don't believe me.

    fought topless

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. male gladiators also fought full nekkid! Read my comment to Kati, I actually know a lot about them gladiatrices!

      Delete
    2. you should really know better... I even wrote a preface for that book comparing Arenas with gladiators with today's reality shows and bloodthirsty series on the telly... got high praise for it from some book critics

      Delete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.